This week I had the privilege of working with a very special man. He may be the most gentle, soft-spoken man I have ever met. I don't know his entire story, but I have heard bits and pieces of it. He led a normal life up until some unfortunate circumstances placed him in multiple car accidents. This led to breathing through an oxygen supply, restrained movement in his limbs, and a loss of his independence, as he now requires someone to care for him full-time and he utilizes a wheelchair. Even though he may be physically "broken", his spirit is not; and I had to hold back a few tears on my shift with him because of his great wisdom and outlook on life. He pulled me aside at lunchtime and explained to me that life could be much worse and that he doesn't want to take anything for granted. He said that life is beautiful and we actually have it quite good.
I agree with him and am reminded of the fragility of life. We are only temporary in this place and yet we often treat life as if we are invincible- throwing caution to the wind, speeding through intersections, doubting our existence, feeling sorry for ourselves when suffering consumes our world. There is much to grieve about on this earth- but there is also plenty to rejoice in. God is our omnipotent Savior and He has provided so many blessings in our lives. Why not be thankful for what He has done and is doing?
Things are going well here in Boulder. I am REALLY enjoying my job placement and praise God for my co-workers and participants. The participants showered me with love and respect this week and it feels like I am falling into place. I did have another incident with the same participant from last week. He was missing for 10 minutes and I was worried sick about where he gotten to. We didn't know if he was inside or outside walking around on the street. Needless to say, I found him after looking through every room in the basement and he had to be sent home. But not after several hours of coaxing him to go and another thirty minutes trying to pry him off of my vehicle. Surprisingly I wasn't mad at him, I felt his pain. He didn't want to go home and I believe he knew that he had made a mistake. But there are ramifications for actions and we needed to follow through on protocol. I just hope that he begins to understand how what he does, will later affect him.
Today Sam and I ate lunch out with an older couple from church. And then I joined them for the Boulder County CROP Walk in Longmont, CO. It was a 10K and took about 2 hours to complete. The view was spectacular as we walked around a huge lake that was positioned with a view of the Flat Irons and Longs Peak. The weather was fantastic as I was wearing shorts and tank top and there were about 200-300 people there to support local and international efforts for raising money towards fighting hunger. I am glad that I chose to participate.
I don't feel that I have too much else to write. Hope that everyone is well--wherever you may be living God's word and doing His goodwill.
Hope means to keep living amid desperation and to keep humming in the darkness.
Hoping is knowing that there is love,
it is to trust in tomorrow,
it is falling asleep
and waking again
when the sun rises.
In the midst of a gale at sea,
it is to discover land.
In the eyes of another
it is to see that you are understood...
As long as there is still hope
There will also be prayer...
And you will be held
in God's hands. -Henri Nouwen-
No comments:
Post a Comment