Sunday, November 22, 2009

Gratitude is a God-honoring attitude

This Sunday I did the Children's Story at church and since it's Thanksgiving this week, I went with that theme. As I was researching and getting some ideas, I stumbled across some really interesting comments and stories on Thanksgiving and being thankful.

These aren't my words, but I thought they were indicative of the spirit of Thankgiving -- Some of the most important words that we can speak to others are the two words, "Thank you". If we bestow a gift on another, we should do so out of a motive that doesn't expect anything, even a thank you, in return.
It seems that so many times I really crave that "thank you" from someone if I do something for them. But the comment above, helps me remember that my actions and deeds should be done in Christ's love and I'm sure we would all agree that Christ never desired a "thank you" for the works that he did. He simply wanted people to follow him and believe. And so I think it is a good reminder that we should do things out of love and humility- without ever needing that "thank you".

Scripture from today came from Luke 12:48, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked"-- we have been bestowed with many blessings. It seems even the simple ones get swept under the rug. Like having food, shelter, clean water, warm beds, loving relationships, etc. My last semester in college, I took an Intro to Counseling class and every Thursday we were to journal about something talked about in class and also list 5 things that we were grateful for. And each new week they needed to be 5 different things. It's amazing how difficult it seems to come up with 5 new things each week...and yet there are millions of blessings to be thankful for. I really enjoyed that exercise as it got me thinking about the simple and complex things in my life that are worth praising God for. And it helps you to think positively about your surroundings, plus simply sitting back and reflecting on the good in one's life is always a good thing.

Things have been going great for me. There are some days that I'm walking to work and I can't help the smile that sneaks onto my face because I feel so much joy and happiness from being in this place and city. It truly feels like a God-thing that I am here in Boulder and serving in my workplace. I couldn't have asked for a better placement and am very pleased with how things are working out. God is good indeed. Plus I am hanging out with co-workers more and more and developing some great girlfriend relationships. I feel quite loved and wanted so that is a good feeling. Work keeps me quite busy and it seems like sometimes there is barely time to breathe..so it will be nice to have two days off work this week for Thanksgiving. I am starting to do some brainstorming for programming ideas for February and March.

From all the walking I do to and from work, I have been thinking about the privilege it is to have a vehicle and the great independence one receives from it. I have been lucky enough to have a vehicle from about the time I started driving at 16. The only time I didn't have a vehicle was my first semester of college, but even then I found ways of getting around. But living here in Boulder and not having wheels has been eye-opening for me and quite humbling. I quickly became one of the regulars on the bus ride to Lafayette. I smile to see people parking their cars in the parking garage off of Table Mesa in order to ride the bus to Denver or elsewhere. People are conscious of their environmental footprint here and that is nice to see. Some statistics on transportation:

-The average U.S. household owns 2.2 automobiles -- 10% more than in the early 1990s and 70% more than in 1955. So there is definitely a precedent for fewer cars per family.

-According to the U.S. Department of Transpotation Statistical Records Office there are approximately 62 million registered vehicles in the U.S. at the current time and appox. 6.4 million unregistered functioning vechicles.

-(2000 survey)The car is by far the most common means of commuting in North America where 71% of company workers and every second student commute by car. The situation is less extreme in Europe where 58% of company workers, but only 10% of students commute by car. In East Asia, car drivers make up 25% among company workers and 15% among students.

Well Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and may you remember to be thankful for all the blessings, small and large, in your life.

-Lindsey-


No comments:

Post a Comment