Friday, May 28, 2010

Tonight I come home from work with a full heart and a feeling of being content. Something about my evening shift filled a space within me.

The shift is called "Giddy Up" and it involves participants interacting with horses at a therapeutic horse program. We've been attending for the spring season and tonight was our last night. It was a night of celebration as we made treats for the horses and the participants were finally able to RIDE a horse. Afterwards we had a time of sharing and went around the circle and said things that we appreciated about each participant that attends. And for some reason, this meant so much to me. I wish I could do this with all of my participants and let them know what they mean to me and how special they are. But the best part was hearing what participants had to say about each other. One guy explained his connections with the horses and how meaningful that has been for him. The horse's power and presence. Their gentleness and kindness. And how he sees another participant's love for one particular horse.

Another participant said good-bye to a horse she had deeply fallen in love with and has joked of taking home with her. She turned to me, eyes filled with tears...and I saw the love and sadness as I explained that it was okay to cry and she had had a wonderful time playing and getting to know Starlight.

I work with such beautiful people. They are filled with joy, love, and life. They interact with open arms. They laugh, play, and cry. And most of all they have blessed my life beyond words. I am brought to tears thinking about their gentle spirits and how despite supposed "challenges" in their lives, they are caring and giving.

May God grant us all the nature of humility and love.
Blessings,
Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey,
    That was beautiful. I don't even know your participants but they sound like absolutely beautiful and amazing people and I'm so happy that you've had such a wonderful year working with them. You're awesome and have such a great gift of loving and caring.
    Love ya,
    K

    ReplyDelete